Welcome to Meg Talks

Despite my lifelong love of writing, I have never given much thought to starting a blog.

First of all, in a world of YouTube commentary, TikTok videos and Instagram reels, does anyone actually read blogs anymore? Who cares what I have to say anyway?


Secondly, I don’t ever want to be accused of pontificating. In one of my favorite TED Talks, Celeste Headlee said, “If you want to state your opinion without any opportunity for response or argument or pushback or growth, write a blog.” 


I never want to be that person. I have strong opinions, but I love a civil, spirited debate. I like learning why people have the perspectives they do, and I have discovered I prefer having friends who see the world differently than me.  So if you’re here, don’t be afraid to use that comment section! 


I have posted a few things here and there on Facebook about issues of the day that have gotten a modest response from my Facebook friends. I once wrote a post and was stunned when it was shared over 30 times. (No autographs, please.) Most of these posts start out as notes on my iPhone when I just need to work through my thoughts, and sometimes after a glass of wine, I work up the nerve to copy and paste it into a Facebook post. After my most recent post, my mom asked if I had ever considered starting a blog. 


And so Meg Talks was born. 


I have no idea how much I’ll post or what I’ll post about — just whatever inspires me. This venture is more for myself (and my mom). I don’t expect to have much of an audience, but if you have made it here, thanks for stopping by! 


- Meg 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions and Lessons of a Political Junkie

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year